Saturday, April 3, 2010

Early Applique

This is the first block I made while learning to needleturn applique.  The pattern is a modification of one of Blackbird Design's blocks.  My wonderful applique teacher, Gretchen, explained that with all the time I was spending prepping blocks with freezer paper and basting the seam allowance under, I could be making two blocks!  I still like to trace the pattern with a trusty General's white chalk pencil though.  Don't we all rely on a safety net from time to time?

5 comments:

Janet said...

I think you must have had a great teacher, the block is fantastic and the star points aren't that easy.

Carole said...

Hum.... I can understand the not sewing the seam under, but I've got to use my freezer paper as a guide to draw my lines! Love block you have! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

Libby said...

I was right there with you using starch to control that seam allowance. There is so much more pleasure in just getting started with needle and thread now that I'm trying to conquer the needleturn method . . . . and I need that line, too. But I use a Pigma pen to get that line on permanently - I fear losing my lines if I used chalk *lol*

Meredith said...

I agree you can do twice as much without freezer paper. I do enjoy chalk and some times a Pigma when the chalk will not show up. Your block is really nice.

Karen said...

A very nice folk art style applique block. I confess I have never heard of the General's chalk pencil.