Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cherries Galore


This is the latest applique block finished for the cherry cake quilt.  The cake basket blocks were made by friends on a Reproduction Yahoo Group.  Our challenge was to make cake basket blocks for a block exchange using Lancaster colors.  This applique block was inspired by a block in an antique quilt I remember seeing in a quilt show some time ago.  There are a lot of cherries in this one, so I ended up using thin metal washers I got at the hardware store as templates.  After gathering the fabric around them, they got a good press and then sat overnight to cool.  It really worked well.


Progress so far - the cherry sprig applique block on the right is inspired by a block in the 101 Applique Blocks book by Nancy Brenan Daniel.  This is a great book which I end up return to over and over.  The middle block was made using a bias stem shaped around a glass for the template, and leaves from a pattern I made by folding freezer paper in half and cutting out a leaf shape until I came up with a shape I liked.  There are a total of 20 cake stand blocks, so will enjoy making more applique blocks to go in between.

Thank you for stopping by to look at the Cherry Cake quilt progress, and hope you have time this weekend to get a few stitches in!  Delicious foggy weather here in Northern California just right for quilting and a pot of soup bubbling on the stove!

10 comments:

Lori said...

On the blogs that I read, this is one of my favorite quilts to see1 It makes me want to rush right out and start my own. Lovely applique blocks you are choosing too!!

Karen said...

Such a creative endeavor combining the applique blocks with the baskets. The one block has lots of circles!

Janet said...

Ooohh! What a pretty block with all those cherries. It's snowing here today and I did get to sew - yeah!

Ann Champion said...

I love this latest addition to the quilt! That's a lot of cherries...but your method of making them seemed to work very well?
I agree with Lori...this one makes me want to start one of my own too. :)

Mary said...

I love the cherries! The blocks look so good all together - I can't wait to see what else you do.

Barb said...

I love your new block - so many lovely cherries!
looks right at home with the rest.
I love seeing your progress on this project, I just love the color combo!

The Quilted Finish said...

Even though this quilt is still in "pieces" I think it's one of my favorites! Love the colours and the combination of pieced and appliqued blocks. Gorgeous!!

Sharon said...

This is an amazing block pattern, love the colorways. This is one of my favorite things Ive seen in blogland for a longgg time.

Kathi said...

I think the applique blocks loaded with cherries make a perfect alternate block for your baskets. It inspires me to dust off my top and get busy quilting it!

Jan said...

OMG, I love, love, love this quilt!!